Spring is enjoyable for more than a few reasons: flowers bloom, you can open windows for fresh air and your utility bill is usually at its most economical. That’s because you’re not turning to your heater or cooling.
But as mercury begins to climb, so do your energy costs. Here are a couple of ideas for saving energy in Austin and keeping costs lower.
1. Schedule Seasonal AC Maintenance
Giving your cooling system a seasonal maintenance appointment can help it work more efficiently and reduce costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep energy bills low.
If your HVAC equipment has had better days, spring is an excellent time to replace it. The energy-saving features in updated AC systems is a huge benefit for keeping your utility expenses down.
2. Start with Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on HVAC costs. Just set your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Learning how to effectively schedule your thermostat is the best way to reduce energy expenses in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re at home. Think of it this way, the lower the difference between outside temperatures and indoor temperatures, the lower your home comfort bill will be.
- When you’re out, set the thermostat to a much higher temperature or shut it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty house.
3. Try Other Methods to Cool Your House
You can turn to a couple other things to help keep your residence comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By turning on a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort. Have your fan move counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which forces cool air upward. This distributes cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds closed—Sunlight quickly transforms into heat as it comes through windows. Keep your residence cooler by drawing blinds and curtains when you’re not staying in sunny areas.
4. Consider Buying a Smart Thermostat
You’ve left home and immediately realize you forgot to turn up the thermostat. Then you fret about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats pick up on your routine and change the temp when you’re gone to help you save on your bills. You can also adjust the thermostat from anywhere with your phone.
These pro ideas will all help keep summer energy costs economical. If you decide it’s time to modernize your thermostat or need AC installation, give our team a call at 512-596-1257 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the correct fit for your home. And as always, all our services are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.