Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other room to your house, being comfy in your new area no matter the weather is important. However, they can create a unique challenge for contentment. This is due to the fact installing ductwork is pricey. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the heightened load, as it was sized without taking the addition into consideration.
One of the most cost-effective solutions is to add a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Learn more about mini-splits and how installing one in your addition can be a great fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Operate
A ductless mini-split, since they’re nearly identical to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have used for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient as they transfer heat to make your space more comfortable. In reality, many have earned ENERGY STAR® certification, which can make you eligible for extra rebates and reduce your energy bills for years to come.
Another special feature involves zoned heating and cooling. As each room typically has an individual indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. As an instance, a mini-split AC is extremely helpful if you have a room with precise temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for spaces that don’t have ductwork. Here are a couple reasons why it’s smarter than extending ductwork and leaning on your present heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is expensive. Adding ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the total cost will depend on your house, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system may become stressed. When your current heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your residence in advance of the addition. This could overwhelm your system and make it fail more rapidly.
- Your comfort might suffer. As your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort might suffer if your system is forced to manage a larger location. Your heating and cooling might be less powerful, and your utility expenses may skyrocket due to the system needing to run more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like regular systems, mini-splits are available in varying sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you work with our Experts at Strand Brothers Service Experts, we’ll help you get the correct size for your new area. And your budget.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in huge energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or more when adequately maintained. ENERGY STAR says having one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Strand Brothers Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you choose the right model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Strand Brothers Service Experts can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently finished one, we can provide assistance. Give us a call at 512-596-1257 now to request a free consultation and estimate.