Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is on? There's probably something wrong with your AC. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to extensive—and expensive—issues later. We're going to help you figure out what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling normally indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can't determine where the noise is coming from, that's alright. A professional can help verify where this noise is occurring. You can find more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will generate a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can cause noise inside your house. Read our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be created by a damanged refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Check out our hissing noise guide for more info.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is probably an electrical issue. Read our buzzing noise guide for further information.
- Clicking - Clicking can hint you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can see more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be due to a loose part. Check out our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A loud noise from your external unit can mean an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Look at our loud noise guide for additional information.
- Humming - Humming can be related to fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about prevalent air conditioning problems on energy.gov
Should I keep operating my AC when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's hard to answer this question without looking at your system.
Usually, we recommend shutting down the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there's an issue with your air conditioner. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it's best to get problems taken care of right away. Calling a professional could help minimize future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.