When rough weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair expert to check your system afterwards, they can probably provide you with good news that your steps paid off.
At Strand Brothers Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time likely will not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets strewn about during threatening weather. Just ensure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a protected place so that they don’t get thrown around during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to go back outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Strand Brothers Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Austin, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other concerns that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for bad weather in Austin or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 512-596-1257 or schedule an appointment with Strand Brothers Service Experts through our online scheduler.