Annually, over 20,000 people go to the ER as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is given off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the heating months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your family safe, Strand Brothers Service Experts is here with a few tips to safety heat your home.
- Place a CO detector on every floor of your home and change the batteries yearly.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a minimum of three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, always check to verify the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces unwatched. Power off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like concrete or tile. Keep kids and animals away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, buy a model that shuts off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Do not use a stove to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned yearly.
The ultimate thing you can do for your heating system is to ensure it’s not only all set to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your fall tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Strand Brothers Service Experts will check to ensure your furnace is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 512-596-1257 today and find out how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.