Annually, over 20,000 people visit the ER as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is given off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the heating months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep you safe, Strand Brothers Service Experts is here with some tips to safety warm your home.
- Place a CO detector on every floor of your home and replace the batteries yearly.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, at least three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, always check to verify the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces unwatched. Power off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like concrete or tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, buy a model that turns off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Do not use a stove to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally checked and cleaned every year.
The ultimate thing you can do for your heating system is to ensure it’s not only all set to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your fall tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Strand Brothers will check to ensure your furnace is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 512-596-1257 today and find out how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.