If you think you may have a gas leak, evacuate your home and call 911 immediately.
Signs of a gas leak could include the following:
- The aroma of sulfur or “rotten eggs”
- Hissing or blowing sounds from appliances connected to the gas line, such as gas stoves, or sounds from the gas source itself
- Dead or yellowed grass, plants or other vegetation
- Residents of the home experiencing symptoms such as dizziness, nausea or fatigue
If you have any of these signs and are thinking they may be due to a gas leak, evacuate your home and call 911 immediately, followed by your utility company.
There are cases where the utility company will repair a gas leak, but in most scenarios the homeowner is on the hook. Luckily, the experts at Strand Brothers are highly trained to install or repair gas lines and we are dedicated to getting the job done right, and more importantly, safely. Not to mention that all our work is covered with our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee*!
GAS LINE REPAIR IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD NEVER DO AS A DIY PROJECT.
While there are a ton of things to get done around the house that homeowners want to take on by themselves, gas line repair ought to be left up to the specialists. It is the only way to ensure that your gas lines are both safe and effective, as well as up to all Austin codes.
From installing gas lines for a new stove or oven to doing repairs on gas lines for a heater in your garage, Strand Brothers’s experiences in the industry have allowed us to handle a host of gas line projects in the Austin community, so no job is too big or too small for our experts.
Gas Leak and Carbon Monoxide Safety
As stated before, the first thing you need to do if you are worried about a gas leak is leave your home and then call 911 right away. After emergency responders are coming your way, call your utility company.
Once the emergency responders and utility company have made certain there is no danger, call Strand Brothers to arrange a gas line repair, installation or replacement.
Poisonous gases, including natural gas and carbon monoxide, need to be taken very seriously. Be sure you have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home and call 911 promptly if you’re ever nervous about a gas leak or carbon monoxide in your home. Unlike natural gas, carbon monoxide doesn’t have an odor and isn’t easily detected. The EPA recommends a few steps to decrease exposure to carbon monoxide:
- Keep gas appliances properly adjusted.
- Put in and utilize an exhaust fan vented to outdoors over gas stoves.
- Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
- Have a well-versed professional inspect, clean and tune up your central heating systems (including furnaces, flues and chimneys) annually and fix any leaks immediately.
For more ideas on how to safely heat your home and avoid carbon monoxide issues, look at our blog.